None at this time. Please check back later.
GARDEN MAINTENANCE TECHNICIAN
Keep Akron Beautiful develops and implements public education and community improvement programs on litter prevention, recycling, graffiti eradication, waste management and beautification to encourage citizens to take pride in Akron by participating in these activities. Currently, we have an opportunity available as Garden Maintenance Technician.
The purpose of Garden Maintenance Technician is to assist the Flowerscape Director with Keep Akron Beautiful urban gardening program. The Garden Maintenance Technician helps with the installation, maintenance, and flower removal for more than 20 urban flower beds in Akron. This is a part time position that requires flexible hours during the growing season.
We are looking to fill this position with team oriented individuals. At Keep Akron Beautiful, we pride ourselves on a higher standard of craftsmanship. We strive to maintain a workplace that is safe and clean, where each employee is treated with respect, dignity and trust.
- General knowledge of plants, particularly annuals and perennials
- Knowledge and skills using Landscape equipment (Rototiller, Weed Trimmer, Hedge Trimmer, etc.)
- Experience in flower planting and maintenance
- Ability to train and work alongside crew and community service workers
- Ability to listen and deal with disciplinary problems
- Willingness to communicate and cooperate with Flowerscape crew
- Willingness to learn and grow
- Flower bed preparation
- Annual and perennial installation
- Flower bed maintenance ( pulling weeds, pruning, mulching, etc.)
- Correct operation and general maintenance of landscape equipment
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to walk and stand. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 lbs. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus. Works inside (10%) and outside (90%) Other duties as assigned by the Flowerscape Director.
$18 an hour and then up to $20 an hour after 60 days.
Interested applicants can send resume to Leah Heiser, Flowerscape Director, at [email protected]
COMMUNICATIONS & PUBLIC RELATIONS INTERN – FALL 2020
Keep Akron Beautiful seeks individuals with an interest in gaining work experience within a nonprofit organization. S/he must be comfortable supporting the staff, which works as a team to “Improve Akron’s quality of life through beautification and responsible environmental management.”
The Intern will be expected to commit to a specified and agreed upon tenure and will work primarily with programming at Keep Akron Beautiful’s office, alongside the Community Outreach & Volunteer Project Manager.
Goals of Keep Akron Beautiful Internship:
- Offer training for the benefit of the student.
- Provide on-site and meaningful professional experiences for college-level students.
- Enable students to gain practical knowledge and familiarity with nonprofit work.
- Facilitate understanding of a general office environment and offer insight into work experiences.
- Allow Keep Akron Beautiful employees the opportunity to mentor and work with a student who seeks knowledge, professional and practical work skills.
- Provide guidance to students seeking work experiences.
- Intern will be assigned to the full time Community Outreach & Program Manager who will oversee the intern’s day to day responsibilities.
- Intern will be given at least one major project to complete and report to the full KAB staff at the conclusion of their tenure.
- Intern will be expected to participate in KAB staff meetings and are encouraged to contribute thoughts and opinions on subject matter.
- Intern will be given the opportunity to complete a supervisor evaluation form; likewise, the intern will be evaluated at the conclusion of their tenure by their supervisor.
- Intern will be expected to complete weekly timesheets.
- Intern will be required to meet with the CEO to complete an exit interview at the conclusion of their tenure.
Interns are expected to meet the following qualifications:
- Working knowledge of MS Office including Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Detail-oriented and organized
- Focused and productive on tasks-at-hand
- Strong verbal and written skills
- Positive and respectful attitude
- Willing to take direction, but able to work independently
- Interest in learning as well as contributing to the greater good
This position reports to the Community Outreach &Volunteer Project Manager and ultimately the Executive Director.
This position is based at Keep Akron Beautiful office – 850 East Market Street, Akron Ohio 44310.
This is an unpaid internship. Students will work 10-20 hours or more each week within the regular workday, M-F / 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. We offer a flexible schedule for interns and will work with the applicable candidate to ensure timely encounters with professional staff in the office.
Students may receive college credit for their work; however, it is the student’s responsibility to petition for the credit through their university or college program.
Johanna Barnowski, Community Outreach & Program Manager
Keep Akron Beautiful / 850 East Market Street/ Akron, OH 44305
Phone: 330-375-2116 / [email protected]
If interested, please submit resume to Johanna Barnowski at [email protected] We look forward to hearing from you!