KAB Recognizes Other Emerging Businesses in Sustainability Part 1

Summit of Sustainability Awards - SOSA - logoIf you have been reading our most recent posts, you’ve watched and heard about the three winners of the 2012 Summit of Sustainability Awards (SOSA). In the coming days, Keep Akron Beautiful (KAB) would like to share the sustainability efforts of the other SOSA applicants that received a certificate as an “Emerging Company” in the area of sustainability:

GOJO Industries, Inc., (large business) – With the development of summit meetings, action plans, and internal sustainability teams, GOJO has made steady progress in their sustainability efforts. These include:

  • Saving 3.8 million gallons of water (a reduction of 30%).
  • Reusing and recycling waste and sending unrecyclable materials to waste-to-energy programs (a reduction of 25%).
  • Reducing greenhouse gas emissions by 5%.
  • Launching green-certified hand soap products.
  • Making sustainability improvements in the production of newer products, reducing smog emissions by 79%, reducing greenhouse gases by 15% and a saving 20% in energy consumption.
  • Educating the public on health risks and the benefits of hygiene, helping to reduce healthcare-acquired infections and improve the health of people in developing nations.
  • Encouraging employees to be more sustainable in their daily work, saving 4.2 million sheets of paper between 2009 and 2011, an equivalent of 500 trees.
  • Installing a water filtration system and handing out refillable water bottle to help employees reduce plastic waste, cutting individual consumption by about 8,000 water bottles and saving over 20,000 gallons of bottled water for water coolers.

Boy Scouts of America, Camp Manatoc (nonprofit) – It just took a tiny look at how they were doing things – or not doing things…like recycling – and this organization saved themselves $400 a month in dumpster fees during the summer. That’s 8 yards of waste a week. All by:

  • Recycling food waste through Summit County.
  • Recycling cardboard through The River Valley Paper Company.
  • Recycling cans and bottles through Kimble Recycline.

Barrington Carpet & Flooring Design (small business) – Did you know that 4-6% of all landfill space is old carpeting?  Want to know what else?…Carpet is full of renewable resources that are not only wasted when they are sent to the landfill, but also will remain in the landfill forever because they will never fully decompose. So, this company has, since 2011, been a participant in an Ohio grass roots effort to recycle old carpet and pad, as well as other recycling efforts. Here is a scenario:

  • Barrington’s recycling of carpet and pad has kept 2.315 billion pounds of carpet out of America’s landfills — nearly 86% has been recycled back into carpet or some other product and the remaining 14% used as an energy source, like in cement kilns for example — this is because carpet is petroleum based, making it an excellent resource to generate power without using new oil supplies.
  • This company also took the step to recycle plastic and cardboard generated by the company has saved the environment.
  • By scanning all documents into their office computer system, Barrington has reduced paper usage, saving trees.
  • Using fluorescent bulbs for Barrington’s in-store lighting, wherever possible, has saved on energy consumption.

These are just three of the other SOSA applicants, check us out later to read about more emerging leaders in sustainability.

The Summit of Sustainability Awards is a part of Greenprint for Akron which is facilitated by Keep Akron Beautiful.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

three × 2 =