Litter and Illegal Dump Cleanup Trailer
The Litter and Illegal Dump Cleanup Trailer registration is CLOSED for the season.
Reservations will be accepted begining in March.
Keep Akron Beautiful will have exciting new equipment to add to the CPTL inventory in 2017! Stay tuned for updates!
The Litter and Illegal Dump Cleanup Trailer is available through Keep Akron Beautiful (KAB) for loan to City of Akron residents and community volunteer groups free of charge. There is a minimum of five households or a group of five volunteers needed to be committed to the project to make the group eligible for use of the trailer. The trailer is stocked with litter collection tools and cleanup supplies to assist residents with removing debris and clearing vacant lots in Akron’s neighborhoods. This program is Keep Akron Beautiful’s attempt at making it easier for volunteers to remove litter and dumping. Keep Akron Beautiful Litter Program Staff will deliver and pick-up the trailer to and from the designated location. The trailer is booked on a first-come, first-served basis April through October. Please check with Helen Dauka (firstname.lastname@example.org or 330.375-2116 option 5) at the KAB office for trailer availability, or check back to this page once registration is open..
- Must be used in Akron, Ohio
- Event must have Project Coordinator (PC)
- Trailer may be borrowed for a maximum of three days
- Project Coordinator will assume responsibility for the following:
- Completion and submittal of the CPT Application Form and the Participant List to KAB two weeks prior to the event.
- Ensuring all participants using equipment from the trailer are at least 18 years old and have completed all Participant’s Responsibilities and Waiver Form
- Confirmation of the equipment inventory prior to receipt of the trailer and upon the return of the trailer to Keep Akron Beautiful Litter Program personnel.
- Distributing supplies to participants and ensuring all equipment is operated safely and used only at the event site. Retrieving supplies once participants have completed the project.
- Properly securing the trailer and its contents overnight.
- Ensuring the trailer is free of trash and debris upon its return.
- Ensuring proper parking location of the trailer at the project area.
- Replacing missing items not returned in the condition they were received (normal wear & tear excluded)
- Completion of the Cleanup Summary Form and submission of event photos.
- Recruiting a minimum of five households to be involved in the project or a group of 5 dedicated volunteers.
How to Get Started
- Please be on time when meeting the Keep Akron Beautiful staff for the trailer drop off and pickup. We will wait no longer than 30 minutes after your scheduled times.
- Always use good judgment and be safe. Watch out for participants. Keep them in sight.
- If something looks suspicious or dangerous call local police enforcement. Do not pick up or touch any bloody item or sharps, report their location to KAB. Akron Police Department patrol cars will be informed of the location of the trailer to monitor overnight.
- Promote recycling during your cleanup event; clear recycling bags are provided.
- Be sure to let us know the success of your event. The cleanup summary report is due to KAB within one week of using the trailer. Take photos and submit them too!
- Congratulate yourself and be proud that you made a difference and have some fun!
2016 was the second full season with the Litter & Illegal Dump Cleanup Trailer. The trailer was utilized by 23 groups consisting of 507 volunteers who donated 2,346 man hours. They were able to collect 8.67 tons of litter, 14 tires, 14 bags of recyclables. 4 commercial buildings were also painted with the Litter & Illegal Dumping Trailer. Volunteers from the following organizations are just some of those we have to thank for the great success of this year: Bemis North America, Downtown Akron Partnership, Emmanuel United Church, and Neighborhood Network of University Park.
Due to the success over four seasons of the first Keep Akron Beautiful Community Pride Trailer, made possible through initial grants from The Dominion Foundation the Citizens Bank Foundation we have created a second, smaller Community Pride Trailer with the help of Citizens Bank Foundation. This smaller version is to be loaned out for litter collection and illegal dump cleanups projects in the City of Akron only. There will be no landscaping or planting equipment on this new trailer, only supplies and equipment that make picking up other’s misplaced waste (trash) easier. Thanks to Power Media for the trailer wrap and the City of Akron’s Motor Equipment Department for installing the shelving and hooks inside the trailer to keep the equipment and supplies secure during travel. Now citizen groups have no excuse to not get out there and help us keep Akron beautiful!