By Jacqui Flaherty, Program Manager
Many of you know that Donzell’s Flower and Garden Center and Dayton Nurseries (both organizations are part of our Dreamscape vendor partner program) are hosting garden seminars on Saturday’s in February and March at 11 AM. We already posted a blog article on all of the February classes, but lets take a look at the classes that are coming up in March!
All of the Donzell’s Flower and Garden Center seminars are located at their Garden Center (937 E. Waterloo Road in Akron). You must register for the seminars by calling 330.724.0550, ext. 110. All of the classes are free of charge. The following presentations are planned:
- March 2-3- The Greater Akron Orchid Society Show is taking place at Donzell’s. The Orchid Show offers exotic orchid displays, orchid vendors and experts on hand to answer questions. The show is free and is open to the public in the greenhouse. The “Wine and Orchids” Wine Tasting event will take place on March 2 from 1 to 4 PM featuring local wineries’ products now sold at Donzells’.
- March 9- “Bonsai Basics and Beyond,” with speaker Dale Cochoy of the Akron Bonsai Society. Cochoy brings more than 30 years of experience with demonstrations and growing and care information.
- March 16- “Oh Deer!,” with speaker Carol Zeh, teacher and nanny for “Dillie the Deer”. Dillie is a farm-born white-tailed deer born blind and raised inside a home in Canal Fulton. Zeh shares tips on keeping deer out of yards, as well as Dillie stories.
- March 23- “Herbs for Health and Beauty,” with speaker Barb Oare of the Quail Hollow Herb Society. Oare will cover easy ways that herbs can help with headaches, coughs and colds, ease stress and more.
- March 30- “Vegetable Gardening Basics,” with speaker Lee Paulson, a Master Gardener. Paulson will cover the basics for those who want to enjoy their own fresh-picked vegetables.
All of the Dayton Nurseries seminars are located at Dayton’s (3459 S. Cleveland-Massillon Road, Norton.) The classes cost $6 for garden club members and $10 for others. Seating is limited. Advance payment is requested, but you may also pay at the door. To register, call 330.825.3320 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. The following presentations are planned:
- March 2- “Understanding Lawn Maintenance” by Mark Laube of Oliger Seed Co. Did you know that spring lawn care begins immediately after the final frost? With his years of expertise in lawn care for NE Ohio, Mark Laube will get you started in the right direction for 2013. From selection of the best seed, fertilizer, insect and disease care, Mark will discuss proper lawn maintenance for home lawns.
- March 9- “What’s New and Exciting for 2013” by Tom Dayton and Karen Martin of Dayton Nurseries. A sneak peak of the newest, most exciting introductions in trees, shrubs, evergreens, perennials, vines and annuals. Our slide show will include pictures, plant information and care tips with the knowledge and expertise of owner Tom Dayton and an introduction to our new perennial manager, Karen.
We look forward to these upcoming classes and hope you will join in on one–or a few of them!