By Jacqui Flaherty, Program Manager
Want to get rid of clutter for good, but make sure it goes to a great cause? Check out these ways to get rid of items and send them off to people in need:
1) Video Games- The Get-Well Gamers Foundation believes that playing Madden NFL 13 can help hospitalized children forget their pain. Send new and used games to its California HQ.
A young child plays video games after a procedure at a children’s hospital.
2) Running Shoes- One World Running promotes health in the United States and the developing world by sending new or nearly new athletic shoes to American shelters as well as Africa, Central America and Haiti. If your shoes aren’t quite “nearly new,” they’ll be recycled into material for tracks and playgrounds.
3) Prom Dresses- Get rid of unwanted tulle at Donate My Dress, which distributes prom, Sweet 16 and quinceañera frocks to girls who can’t afford them.
4) Onesies- If your infant has outgrown his teensy wardrobe, pass it on to Newborns In Need, which provides essentials for a child’s first weeks of life to hospitals serving ill and impoverished babies. The nearest chapter of Newborns In Need to Akron, Ohio, is the Hudson Chapter.
Here is a photo of onesies and sleepers donated to “Newborns In Need”
5) Teddy Bears- If your kids rooms are filled with practically new stuffed animals, consider donating them to Loving Hugs, which offers children in war zones, refugee camps and orphanages a cuddly new friend.
Pictured here are children in an orphanage with the teddy bears they received from “Loving Hugs”.
6) Eyeglasses- New Eyes for the Needy sends your old eyeglasses abroad, bringing the gift of sight to places like Bolivia, Ghana, and Cambodia.
7) Men’s Suits- Have you finally gotten a suit that fits? Donate old ones to Career Gear, which offers unemployed men interview clothing and career counseling.
An unemployed man looks for the perfect suit to wear to his upcoming job interview.
All of these options are a great way to get rid of unwanted items from your home– a great way to re-purpose!
Want more ideas on doing your part, like recycling, to save the environment? Go to the left of our homepage and sign up for the Keep Akron Beautiful newsletter. All we need is your name and email!