By: Nalee Vang, Communications Intern
It’s a new year and you’re aiming for a new you! Right around this time is when everyone (including myself) is set on achieving some sort of fitness goal(s). Exercising is great for you and your body, but have you ever stopped to think about the way you exercise? It may sound like a weird question, but how you exercise could have an impact on the environment!
Your workout doesn’t have to negatively impact the environment. You can definitely achieve your fitness goals and be eco-friendly all at the same time! Here are some tips to help you do just that!
5 Eco-Friendly Workout Tips
- Find a work out buddy. Not only will you have someone by your side to help motivate you, but you’ll also be able to car pool to the gym and save some gas while also reducing the amount of gas emissions into the air.
- Use a recyclable/reusable water bottle. Unfortunately, only 27% of plastic bottles are recycled in the U.S. Do your part and purchase a reusable water bottle for yourself! Check out Good Housekeeping’s Best Reusable Water Bottles list for one that best suits you!
- Hand wash your workout gear. Bring your own towel with you to the gym to wipe your hands or machines. When it’s time to wash your towel and workout clothes, hand wash them in cold water and let them air dry. Laundry machines use an extensive amount of energy and your workout gear needs frequent washing, so save some money on your energy bills. Also, hand washing can extend the life of your clothing, which means longer wear!
- Recycle your shoes. Instead of throwing out your old athletic shoes, recycle them through Nike’s Reuse-A-Shoe program. By dropping them off at any Nike store, your worn-out shoes will be given new life by being transformed into something such as new tracks or new basketball and tennis courts!
- Borrow equipment. Don’t purchase new “stuff”. If you want to work out at home, ask your friends and family for any exercise equipment they may have such as workout DVD’s, yoga mats, jump ropes and even treadmills. You can even use items around the house during your workouts. For example, using two one gallon water jugs as weights serve as an eco-friendly way to an effective work out.
Now that you have a better idea of what you can do to better the environment and yourself, you can be fit and be green!
What are some of your green workout tips or at-home workouts that you do?