By Jacqui Flaherty, Program Manager
This is the second year for the countywide awards program that will showcase the best examples of sustainability, e.g. commercial energy efficiency, waste reduction and employee engagement in five categories: small companies with 25 employees or less; mid-size companies with 26-249 employees; large companies with 250 or more employees; Nonprofits/Community and Public Sector (Governmental/Schools). The Summit of Sustainability awards program will culminate in a breakfast which is taking place on Thursday, October 24, 2013 at The University of Akron’s Quaker Station Ballrooms. Seats are $25 each, or a table of eight for $250 which can be purchased from www.SummitofSustainability.org. Parking is free at the surface lots surrounding the venue. Registration is at 7:30 a.m., and the breakfast and program begins at 8:00 a.m.
The panel of esteemed judges selected the following 2013 Summit of Sustainability Award Winners:
- Small Companies with 25 employees or less: Ms. Julie’s Kitchen
- Mid-sized Companies with 25-249 employees: Kent Elastomer
- Large Companies with 250 or more employees: GOJO Industries
- Nonprofit/Community: Akron Marathon
- Public Sector (Governmental/Schools): City of Twinsburg
To be sustainable is to balance economical, environmental and social concerns, and to think about how actions today will affect future generations! It is also about helping our community save energy and money, create more transportation choices, preserve clean air, and bring economic prosperity through the process. The awards program will reveal the best sustainable business practices going on within our community and will showcase the winners for others to emulate. Plan to attend the breakfast to support the five winners and view the videos to showcase how these organizations are setting the bar.
Thank you to our judges:
- Dr. Nicholas Zingale, Faculty Member, Cleveland State University
- Dr. Stacey Willet, Faculty Member, The University of Akron
- Sam Rubens, Administrator, Akron Regional Air Quality Management District
- Robert Marshall, AIA, Principal, Robert Marshall Architecture
- Mike Long, P.E., Network Leader, Ohio By-Product Synergy Network
We look forward to seeing you at the SOSA Breakfast on October 25!